Monday, March 14, 2011

The Evaluation: What I Learned Writing This Blog


When I began this blog, I wrote that it was an experiment.  Well, all experiments need evaluation, and it is time to evaluate this one.  Of course, I am not the best for this type of thing.  I am biased.  Let’s just talk about it anyway.

I believe that I have been true to the original principles that are discussed in the second post such as pursuing reason, which has resulted in moral good, a country of principles, laws, and faith.  But I set out to educate, and offer the reader some background on the real issues of the day.  To do this, I developed themes, and wrote long posts that explained the trade-offs inherent in the issues of the day. 

I thought about these posts for long periods of time.  What I found is that the long posts, though purposeful and rich in information, were not read that much.  There are ways to gain readership such as making the posts smaller, and making points more succinct with less information.   Also, discussing popular people and subjects attracts more readers.   I once put together a post on Barrack Obama and Christine O’Donnell and the readership tripled. 

People who know blogging say that context, information, proper foundation to an argument don’t attract readers.  Well, the style will change not because I want to attract readers, which I do, but because I don’t have the time I once had to spend on writing posts.  Therefore, I will try to be more succinct and efficient in making my points.

But the real lesson that I have taken away from this exercise is about the quality of our political debate.   Neither side really listens to the other, and most enlightening, each side has its own facts.  We are shouting at each other and no one is listening. 

If we don’t have common facts that all sides accept, how can we reason together?  The common path will never come. If we listened we would agree on a common set of facts on any issue. 

I also place responsibility for some of our uncommon facts on our press.  If some of the press takes sides and chooses facts different from the broadcaster on the next channel, and the other channel does the same, then the press has failed to educate, which is a responsibility that really can only be achieved as long as independence, fairness and objectivity reign as the standards of the press.  When I started this blog my thought was that it was okay to listen to any side as long as I was confident that I could filter out the bias.  Now I believe it is necessary to listen to both sides and filter out the bias.  Without both sides, one will never have the whole story.

That leaves the politicians.  I learned that they do not know enough on any issue, especially economics.  In fact, politicians know frightenly little about economics.  Economics is an incomplete science.  There are many flavors of macro theorists, and it seems that each political side picks and chooses its flavor of the month, then takes their advice, and, like magic, we have bad public policy.  Lately, it seems like we swing from one bad economic policy to another.  And we have no one to blame but ourselves.   We vote for politicians who talk a good game, but under a good cross-examination, don’t really have a clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment